How to transfer Pokemon from 3DS games to Home
As the curtain falls on the Nintendo 3DS eShop in April 2024, a pressing question emerges for Pokemon enthusiasts: "How to transfer Pokemon from 3DS games to Home?" This query gains urgency as the eShop's closure restricts access to digital downloads, making the preservation of your cherished Pokemon collection a top priority. With Pokemon Scarlet and Violet now compatible with Pokemon Home, it's crucial to safeguard your 3DS Pokemon legacy.
In this guide, we delve into the seamless transition of your beloved Pokemon from the realms of Pokemon X and Y or Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, through the Pokemon Bank, into the expansive world of Pokemon Home. Stay ahead in your Pokemon journey by mastering this essential transfer process before the eShop's final goodbye.
Understand the Tools: Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter
Before embarking on the journey of transferring your Pokemon, it's vital to understand the key tools: Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter. Pokemon Bank serves as a cloud-based storage system, allowing you to deposit and manage your Pokemon from various games. It's your central hub for this transfer mission.
Complementing it is Poke Transporter, a tool designed to move Pokemon from select 3DS titles into Pokemon Bank. Together, they form a bridge that connects your 3DS adventures with the broader Pokemon world. Despite the eShop closure, these tools remain operational, ensuring your Pokemon can safely travel to their new home.
Preparing for the Transfer: Download Pokemon Bank and Poke Transporter
To commence the transfer, first, ensure you have Pokemon Bank installed on your 3DS. While new downloads ceased post-March 27, 2023, existing users can still access and use the app. Inside Pokemon Bank lies the gateway to downloading Poke Transporter. Navigate to the app's main menu to find and download it.
Remember, while Pokemon Bank will remain functional beyond the 3DS eShop's closure, having these tools pre-installed is crucial for a smooth transfer process. Ensuring you have both applications ready is the first step in securing your Pokemon's journey from your cherished 3DS games to the expansive world of Pokemon Home.
Step-by-Step Guide: Transfer Pokemon from 3DS games to Pokemon Bank
Transferring your Pokemon from 3DS games to Pokemon Bank is a straightforward process if you follow these steps:
- Select Your Pokemon: Start by launching the game from which you want to transfer Pokemon. Go to your in-game PC and carefully place only the Pokemon you wish to transfer into the first box. This step is crucial as only Pokemon in the first box can be transferred.
- Use Poke Transporter: Open the Poke Transporter app on your 3DS. This app will connect with the game you've opened and access the first box on your PC. Confirm the Pokemon you want to transfer, and Poke Transporter will move them to the Pokemon Bank's transfer box.
- Finalize the Transfer in Pokemon Bank: Now, open the Pokemon Bank app. You will find your transferred Pokemon in a special transfer box. From here, you can move them into any of the Pokemon Bank boxes. Remember to empty the transfer box in Pokemon Bank before repeating the process for more Pokemon.
It’s important to note that once Pokemon are transferred to Pokemon Home, they cannot return to their original 3DS games or any Nintendo 3DS title. So, be certain of your decision before proceeding. This guide simplifies the process, ensuring a seamless transition of your Pokemon to Pokemon Bank, setting the stage for their eventual move to Pokemon Home.
Move Pokemon from Pokemon Bank to Pokemon Home
After successfully transferring your Pokemon to Pokemon Bank, the next phase is moving them to Pokemon Home. Here's how you can accomplish this:
- Initiate the Move on Pokemon Bank: Launch the Pokemon Bank app on your 3DS. Select the option "Move Pokemon to Pokemon Home" from the main menu.
- Select Pokemon to Transfer: Choose the specific boxes in Pokemon Bank that contain the Pokemon you want to move. Be thorough in your selection, as this is a one-way transfer.
- Proceed on Pokemon Home: Open Pokemon Home on your Nintendo Switch or mobile device. On the Switch, select the 3DS icon and choose "Begin Move." On mobile, tap the green Menu icon, go to Options, and select "Move Pokemon."
- Use the Moving Key: Pokemon Home will generate a Moving Key. Enter this key into Pokemon Bank to link both applications for the transfer.
- Complete the Transfer: The transfer process will start, and you need to wait until it is fully completed. Patience is key here, as the process can take some time depending on the number of Pokemon being transferred.
Remember, a premium plan for Pokemon Home is required to execute this transfer. This plan also enables you to store Pokemon from a wider range of games, enhancing your collection and experiences across different Pokemon titles.
Final Considerations and Tips
As you embark on this journey of transferring your beloved Pokemon, here are some final tips and considerations:
- Backup and Double-Check: Before initiating any transfer, ensure your game data is backed up and double-check the Pokemon you're moving. Remember, this process is irreversible.
- Mind the Limitations: Understand the limitations of the transfer process. Once Pokemon leave the 3DS ecosystem for Pokemon Home, they cannot return.
- Plan Ahead: Plan your transfers in advance, especially if you have a large collection. Organize your Pokemon in the Bank for an efficient transfer.
- Stay Informed: Keep an eye on any updates from Nintendo or The Pokemon Company regarding the functionality of Pokemon Bank and Pokemon Home, as policies and features may change.
- Enjoy the Process: Lastly, enjoy the process of bringing your Pokemon into a new era. It’s a unique opportunity to revisit your past adventures and prepare for future ones.
By following these steps and considerations, you can ensure a smooth and successful transfer of your Pokemon from the 3DS games to Pokemon Home, preserving your cherished Pokemon adventures for years to come.
Transferring your treasured Pokemon from 3DS games to Pokemon Home is a significant step in extending your journey through the Pokemon universe. As we approach the closure of the Nintendo 3DS eShop in April 2024, it's crucial to utilize this guide for a smooth transfer process. Remember, this move preserves your existing collection and bridges your adventures from past titles to new horizons in Pokemon Scarlet and Violet.
By following the outlined steps and tips, you ensure that your beloved Pokemon continues to be part of your journey, adapting and evolving with the ever-expanding Pokemon world. Embrace this opportunity to bring your Pokemon legacy into the future.